International Students

The International Club is just one of over 40 clubs at PVCC.

You will quickly feel at home in the multicultural student community at PVCC, and our International Club offers opportunities for social and academic interaction with fellow students from many different countries. PVCC is approved to enroll international students. F-1 students at PVCC are eligible to apply to all Associate Degree programs offered at the college. 

How to Enroll as an International Student at PVCC (F-1 Visa)

If you are applying for an F-1 student visa, you will need a form I-20 from PVCC. To request an I-20, submit the following application materials by the deadlines listed below:

  1. Complete the online application. You will be given a student ID number at the end of the application. Write this student ID number on all your admission documents.
  2. Complete and submit the F-1 Supplemental Application for I-20.
  3. Submit a notarized or certified statement verifying financial support. If you have a sponsor, please have the sponsor(s) complete and sign the second page of the F-1 Financial Statement Form.
  4. Submit bank statements verifying your financial support. Provide recent bank statements (dated no more than six months before the start of the semester for which you are applying) for yourself and/or your sponsor(s).  
  5. Submit qualifying scores for the TOEFL or IELTS if English is not your native language. (See the F-1 Supplemental Application for I-20 for other ways to meet this English proficiency requirement.)
  6. Submit proof of completion of secondary education by providing evidence that you have completed the equivalent of a U.S. high school education. Please do not submit original documents, as those will not be returned to you. If your documentation is not in English, you need to submit an official English translation.
  7. Provide a copy of your passport ID page.
  8. F-1 Transfer Students ONLY: Include a copy of your current I-20.
  9. Change of Status Students ONLY: Submit a copy of your current visa, current I-94 and any immigration documentation you have for your current status (ex. DS-2019 for J-1 status, I-797 for a previous change of status).


Application Deadlines:

New International (F-1) Students - Fall deadline: June 1 / Spring deadline: November 1

Transfer (F-1) Students - Fall deadline: July 1 / Spring deadline: December 1


PVCC will notify you of your acceptance to the College after we receive all your materials. After your documents are reviewed and you are determined to meet all the requirements, the I-20 will be issued. Based on the information you provided on your I-20 Application Form, we will mail your I-20 to you or call you to let you know when it is ready to pick up.

If you are accepted and PVCC issues you a form I-20, you must maintain full-time student status by taking at least 12 credit hours each semester. English as a Second Language (ESL) coursework is considered supplemental instruction and will not count toward the required 12 credits needed for full-timeTypically, three years is the maximum period you are certified under F-1 student status.

If you come to the United States on a temporary or student visa, you are considered a non-resident for tuition purposes, regardless of your length of stay, payment of taxes or ownership of property. F-1 students are not eligible to establish in-state tuition rates.

If you acquire a student visa from another College, you will not be considered for admission to PVCC until you have successfully completed one semester or term at the institution to which you were originally accepted. You must also present a written release from the institution indicating that you are academically eligible to return.

PVCC is not a residential campus and students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements. You may find our off-campus housing page helpful.

PVCC is located several miles outside the city of Charlottesville and served by limited public transportation. You will need to provide your own daily transportation .

If you have questions about studying at PVCC on another type of visa, please email the Admissions & Advising Center or call 434.961.6551.

Students with Other Visas

Any person with a visa other than an F-1 should follow the appropriate adult or high school student steps to enrollment. Students need to submit a copy of the visa to the Admissions & Advising Center. If the visa has expired, a copy of the receipt notice or a new visa must be submitted.

Undocumented Students

It is the policy of PVCC to admit applicants who are residing in Virginia who have graduated from a Virginia high school with a high school diploma or equivalent, even if they are not able to document their legal presence. Those who are unable to provide evidence of legal status will not be eligible for in-state tuition and fee rates. Applicants who have questions about their ability to take classes should contact the Admissions and Advising Office for guidance.  

International Transcripts

For international college credits to be considered as transfer credits to PVCC, first meet with an academic advisor. To proceed with the process, please refer to How to Have International Transcripts Evaluated.